About Town – SATURDAY, 8/8/26
Heritage Oak Winery is closing down, according to owner and winemaker Tom Hoffman. In a recent email sent to customers Tom announced the painful decision, saying he and wife Carmela have sold their remaining 10 acres of land in the Victor area and on Dec. 15 it will revert to being a private residence. “We have arrived at a moment in the history of Heritage Oak Winery that most assumed would one day be here, but few understood how it would feel when it arrived,” he writes. He adds, “Along with my feeling of loss, that this home, the business we built, the grapes we grew, the friends we’ve met, and the wonderful times we have shared, (it) will all come to an end. … For the last 45 years I have walked with pride across the same dirt that four prior generations of my ancestors walked on, slept on, worried about, sweated over, and it all now belongs to someone who knows nothing of that.” He says he will selling off the remaining wine inventory at a deep discount, the most generous discounts reserved for wine club members. Almost two years ago Tom sold off 96 acres of vineyard that had been in his family for 170 years. The vines were taken out and the property is now used for cattle grazing. The grape and wine industry have been grappling with dramatic changes in consumer demand and oversupply issues. Thousands of acres of vineyard have been taken out in the past couple of years.
UPDATE: As you know, former city manager Scott Carney was terminated from city service almost a year ago after only 10 months on the job. He fell out of favor following public remarks wherein he accused city employees, including the city clerk and city attorney, of misuse of public funds with city-issued credit cards. Following his dismissal, Carney lawyered-up and filed two lawsuits. One claims wrongful termination and the other alleges wrongdoing in the release of certain public documents which he had requested. In its response to the documents case, the city admits that some requested items were public records but specifically denies that all requested items were public records. The city says Carney’s suit is based on legal theories and not facts. The procedural filing sets the stage for a court hearing in the future.
CONGRATS: Lodi Police Corporal Branden Honeycutt and Officer Cesar Duron were recently recognized for their efforts in rounding up DUI drivers. The pair was honored by Mothers Against Drunk Drivers (MADD) at this year’s Law Enforcement and Prosecutor Recognition Awards Ceremony held in Roseville on July 23.
CASH: The police department will be receiving a $67,896 special grant to cover personnel costs during DUI checkpoints, DUI saturation enforcements, and DUI-related trainings. The money comes from a voter-approved tax on legal cannabis sales in the state. Those tax funds are set aside to make grants to local governments and qualified nonprofit organizations “for the education, prevention, and enforcement of impaired driving laws.” The checkpoints and saturation patrols will be deployed in areas where statistical data indicate a higher likelihood of DUI drivers, according to department staff. Some people think it’s ironic that Lodi would share in the bounty since the city doesn’t allow marijuana dispensaries within the city limits and, thus, doesn’t contribute to the pot (pun intended).
GUSSIED UP: Think of it as Lodi’s version of an “ugly alley” contest. Every couple of years, the city gives one of its roughest back alleys a complete facelift, tearing out worn pavement, pouring fresh asphalt, rebuilding alley entrances, replacing sidewalks, installing new gutters, and making other much-needed improvements. This year, the alley just north of Pine Street between Central and Garfield streets claimed the title, receiving a $310,000 makeover. The city doesn’t pick these projects at random. Alleys are evaluated through a citywide condition assessment and scored on factors such as pavement wear and drainage problems. Those earning a “10” are considered to be in the worst shape and move to the top of the repair list. Funding for the project comes from the federal Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program.
CHANGES: Lodi City Clerk Olivia Nashed’s last day employed by the city was July 31. She is the new clerk for the city of Livermore. Nashed resigned after serving the city for the past six years, saying she was leaving to “pursue other opportunities.” Her departure marks the latest top city official to leave. All three council appointees have resigned or been fired in the past year. As referenced above, Nashed was accused by former city manager Scott Carney, along with the city attorney and city employees in general, of misuse of public funds. None of the allegations were substantiated after several audits were completed.
LAST LAUGH: Someone posted, “I saw a guy eating alone so I decided to sit down and get to know him. He told me to get out of his car.”
---------------------------------
Steve is a former newspaper publisher and lifelong Lodian whose column appears most Tuesdays and Saturdays in the News-Sentinel and at stevemann.substack.com. Write to Steve at aboutlodi@gmail.com.
